by Ali Nawaz Memon, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
1. The discussion about admission policy in Karachi University in today’s paper. It appeared that the Education Minister made some statement and MQM MNA disagreed. Statement of the Karachi VC was non committal. I am not sure if any action will take place. WE NEED A CLEAR ADMISSION POLICY DECISION WITH TEETH WHICH WILL BE IMPLEMENTED BY A FIXED DATE.
2. The admission policy should APPLY TO OTHER PUBLICLY FUNDED UNIVERSITIES SUCH AS DOW MEDICAL, ENGINEERING ETC OF KARACHI.
3. The discussion about opening doors of universities in Punjab to Sindhis. However, we know that most Sindhis will not be able to go to study in Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad etc for financial and other reasons. Accordingly, THERE MUST BE FINANCIAL INCENTIVES TO ATTRACT SINDHI STUDENTS TO GO TO UNIVERSITIES IN PUNJAB. THIS IS CLEARLY NEEDED FOR SAKE OF NATIONAL INTEGRATION.
4. As far as I know, in rural Sindh we have only two general universities- – Sindh and Khairpur. The Khairpur one does not have a proper campus due to the unfortunate happenings at the Shadi shaheed campus. KHAIRPUR UNIVERSITY NEEDS A PROPER CAMPUS. FURTHER MORE, THE STANDARD OF KHAIRPUR MUST BE RAISED.
5. WE NEED ABOUT 3 MORE GENERAL UNIVERSITIES IN SINDH– ONE IN UPPER SINDH (E.G) GARHI KHAIR BUX/ LARKANA), ONE IN THAR (MIRPURKHAS/ SANGHAR/ MITTHI/ ISLAMKOT), AND ONE IN THE MIDDLE (NAWABSHAH/ BADIN).