– By: Shaheen Sehbai
ISLAMABAD: This mystified capital city is buzzing with all kinds of fairy tales, conspiracy theories, unexplained scenarios and doomsday predictions following the Zulfiqar Mirza Daisycutter that has left everyone flabbergasted, brimming with intriguing questions in its wake rather than providing clarity to the power plays and intrigues within the ruling clique.
Quick discussions with many stakeholders in Islamabad, some well informed media persons and a couple of daring PPP leaders (who are not scared of being seen or talking to this journalist, hated by the Presidency and its top dwellers) reveal that a lot more has been going on before Mirza lost his cool, blew up his dam flooding many sacred compounds and pulling down the pants of many otherwise respectable players on the political stage.
Mirza has contended that he has burnt his boats for the sake of masses. To him, all those living in Sindh – Mohajirs, Sindhis, Punjabis, Pakhtuns and Balochs – are all Sindhis and Pakistanis, and he has vowed to go for any sacrifice to protect them against terrorists and extortionists.
The Mirza episode exploded as I landed in Pakistan, hoping that my presence would calm down many nerves in the government camp, specially the media cells and bosses who always keep on complaining that I write from “comfortable safe zones” and that I should return to the country. As I did that Mr Mirza unleashed his typhoon. Then I got hit by Mr Mirza himself in Hamid Mir’s Capital Talk on Geo TV as we questioned the maverick leader in attempts to peel the layers of mystery surrounding his confusing positions.
While the nation grappled with the public statements, on-screen dramatics and conflicting views of Mr Mirza, behind closed doors the stakeholders and those who know, were not discussing the obvious. They are trying to find answers to some of the more in-depth questions, some mysteries of the super sensitive politico-sphere. Some of these included:
– Why was Mr Mirza crying publicly repeatedly whenever he was asked about the political future of his eminent wife, the Speaker of the National Assembly?
– What had gone wrong with the gang of four Petaro boys and why they had split? This so-called gang would include our President, Mr Zulfikar Mirza, his physician and dealmaker Dr Asim Hussain of Karachi and one Mr U Jatoi. They have remained close knit for years during all adversity and what could have caused the break now?
– Why has Dr Mirza gone ballistic against another Dr, PPP’s own Rehman Malik, who was being tolerated or ignored for the last over 3.5 years, despite all the ills that have now become public property, thanks to Dr Mirza?
– Is there any connection between the Mirza ballasts against Rehman Malik and the serious grapevine stories of some highly personalised audio/video tapes, the contents of which could make or break many top careers and expose top personalities in hated positions. If true, no respectable person, wife or husband, would ever be able to face these secret tapes without either killing the others or committing suicide. So is Dr Mirza out to kill others or commit hara-kiri?
– Why is the out-of-control Mirza-Malik public exchange of vitriolic, abuses and invectives not being stopped by the PPP high command as Mirza is now reportedly threatening to name some air hostesses who are friends of an important minister. Is this a tit-for-tat for some secret information with Rehman Malik? If so in which ditch this personal warfare would land the Zardari set-up? ….
Read more → The News
via → Wichaar