By Dr Ali Akbar Dhakn
Poverty is not showered by God and it is not the fate of any man, woman, nation and even country at large throughout the world but it prevails on account of the Policies, programs, Planning, system of Governance, intentions and actions of the Government from time to time.
It is the product of fragile and unstable system of the Government.The repeated changes and reshuffles in the rulers of the country mostly affect the fortunes of the people because of less continuity and longevity of Policies and Plans prepared by the previous rulers.
WHAT IS POVERTY?
Simply stated, it is lack of food, safe water, reliable health care adequate shelter and basic education.
However, In the words of Nadine Gordimer, winner of Nobel prize for literature in 1991, ”Poverty has aspects other than lack of bread or rice or maize meal basics that keep the body alive”.
A poor woman Moldona once said”Poverty is pain, it feels like a disease.It attacks a person not only materially but also morally.It eats away one`s diginity and drives one into total despair.”
SIGN OF POVERTY IN SINDH.
1.In Sindh, Un-employment is No. one problem having an evidence of (i)Committal of suicides by unemployed Youth(ii) Bad law and order situations i.e. abduction for ransome, dacoits in urban and rural areas,(iii) lifting of bikes and cars,(iv) Killings etc.
2.Beggary has risen. 3.Diseases has risen. 4.Illiteracy or low quality education in rural areas. 5. Bad condition of Roads and water sewerage system in Urban and Rural areas.
6.Price hike due to imposition of many taxes and daily in-crease in petroleum goods, Gas and Electricty etc. 7. Devaluation of Rupee. 8.Less Exports due to less producticity of commodities etc. 9.No installation or establishment of new projects or investment.
There are many long and short term Suggestions for alleviation of Poverty in Sindh.
SHORT TERM STEPS.
1. Invite applications from unemployed Youth who have passed Matric and above in Sindh and absorb them in Ministries, Departments/ Organisations/ Bank/ Corporations, industries with immediate start of their salaries.
2.Necessary directions may be issued to absorb in all Factories/ Industries/ Government Departments people from Sindh only in various posts or they may arrange their training in the requisite fields with suitable salaries.
3. Rs.50,000 may be granted to each family for their small business or trade etc.
4. For shortage of water, Government should plan a tube well for the needy areas.
5. Each village may be linked with near by town through link roads.
6. Marketing centers may be arranged in each village of 2000 families or houses.
7. Drinking water may be provided to each village.
8 .Each village of 50 houses may be provided Primary schools.
9. Each village of 200 families may be provided with a Middle school.
10. Each village of 500 houses may be provided High school .
11.Each village of 1000 houses may be provided an intermediate College.
12.Each village of 1500 houses may be provided a College for Graduate and post Graduate Classes.
13. SHO and Inspector of Police of the Jurisdiction may be removed from service for ever for the abduction,Decoits/ theft and bad law and order situation.
14.In each village of 200 houses the ladies Centres may be established for earning their livelihood.
15. In each Village of 100 houses Social Welfare Community centers may be established for the entertainment and livelihood of the people.
16. Sindh Bank may be established for which Act has already been approved.