By: Ali Nawaz Memon
We have been fighting for FAIRNESS IN FEDERATION of Pakistan. It means that we Sindhis have been asking for our share of riches or wealth of Pakistan. Of course no body listens to us. When I raised that question again during a seminar last weekend in Washington, I annoyed many non-Sindhi friends. They saw it as Punjabi and Muhajir bashing.
We must continue our struggle to make Sindh and Sindhis prosperous through political and collective means. However, personal struggle is the key for success. If we want to be rich, we must become familiar with ROAD TO RICHES.
As a practitioner of economic development, when I look around, I see many rich people. Who is rich? From point of view of Sindhis or average Pakistanis, some one who has assets of about one million dollars, is plenty rich. It does not mean that some one has a million dollars in bank account. It means that value of his home, cars, other investments is about one million dollars.
How did average American get rich, that is a long story. Let us focus on relatively rich Sindhis only in USA and Sindh.
Some are born rich. They inherit lands and business from family. Some have become rich through corrupt means of bribery and dishonesty. But let us focus on self made people who have traveled honest and hard road to riches.
I think blessing of Creator has to be there. After that, I see following characteristics of relatively rich friends:
1. They were good students in schools and colleges. If you are not a good student today, you have to start studying harder and become a better student. You can improve yourself any time.
2. They chose professions which had demand in the society– doctor, engineer, accountant, banker, business etc. People must need your expertise and service. They must be willing to pay for your service. You cannot become rich if your education and expertise is not in demand.
3. Not only they got degrees, but they learned and mastered their subjects. Every person with medical degree does not become rich. But if you have studied enough and become a good doctor, you have a good chance of success.
4. They entered professional field. Being competent and good in their field, they got jobs and learned more on jobs.
5. They struggled and got advanced degrees or education in Pakistan or abroad. Foreign education was not essential but helped a lot since they got higher and more specialized education. Many good professionals have become rich enough with pure Pakistani education.
6. They saved some money every month and invested it for purchase of home, land, business etc. The savings and additional income that it generates is very important towards becoming rich. As an example, a deposit of one lakh rupees in a Pakistani bank can get you about one thousand rupees per month for rest of your life.
Courtesy: Sindhi e-lists/e-groups, Feb 26, 2008