What is next in store for Sindhis and what could we do fight to secure Justice
By Khalid Hashmani, McLean, Virginia
Today’s 14th day since our beloved leader Benazir Bhutto was brutally murdered by the combined evil forces that appear to run Pakistan now days. These evil forces want to perpetuate their hegemony over Sindhis and other tolerant and forward-looking people of Pakistan and eliminate any one who oppose their dictatorship. With very little representation in the key decision-making institutions, Benazir Bhutto offered Sindhis the only hope for getting fairness and justice peacefully. Now that she has been taken away from us by those who want to enslave Sindhis, we must not only fight for justice for us but also for her.
The question that we need to seriously ponder is what is next in store for Sindhis and what could we do fight to secure Justice for Shaheed Benazir Bhutto and us? Engaging in e-mail discussions, praising and/or criticizing other Sindhi groups is one thing, but the need of the hour is to sincerely pledge and devote ourselves to secure fairness and justice for all Sindhis and other downtrodden people of Pakistan.
Benazir’s own blood family and political family (PPP) have left no doubt that they do not expect any justice for her from any investigations and inquiries being conducted by the present Pakistan government. They are demanding that UN must conduct an inquiry into the question as to who killed her and who had the motivation and opportunity to murder her. The global community in general and Sindhis in particular, have also taken initiatives to pursue UN to become a venue for justice for Benazir. An online petition appealing to UN to conduct an investigation has been signed by almost 8,000 persons with hundreds more signing it each day. Several friends have issued statements that in this critical hour, every Sindhi must join PPP and make it the platform of choice for their struggle to achieve fairness and justice. I can understand it that this is an “election time” and the Sindhi leaders of the PPP feel that it would not be prudent to specifically demand fairness and justice for Sindhis openly in the same way as ANP is fighting for the rights of Pashtuns in NWFP and Baloch nationalist parties doing the rights of Baluch. However, PPP’s Sindhi leaders must realize that the reaction of Sindhi masses over the loss of their only hope (benazir Bhutto) to achieve fairness and justice peacefully clearly shows that they are totally unhappy with the injustices they have been suffering at the hands of the present and some past Pakistani governments. The Sindhi leaders of PPP must recognize that after the elections, Sindhis masses would insist PPP to openly talk about Sindhi plight and forcefully fight for their rights. To get a sense of the deep sadness of Sindhis, read the excepts reproduced below from the Wall Street Journal photo gallery about reaction of Sindhis after hearing the news about the shahdat of Benazir Bhutto. By the same token, Sindhi masses and opinion influencers has to realize that there is nothing enemies of Sindhis would like than see Sindhis move away from PPP and become disunited in many groups.
In my view, the following are some of the practical actions and steps that we Sindhis must take in the immediate future:
* Keep the unity as a focal point and FULLY support vigils, protest marches, and other form of demonstrations that demand justice for Benazir Bhutto and others.
* PPP leadership must recognize that Benazir Bhutto was leader of all Sindhis and should not insist that any grievance or protest should solely be channeled through the PPP platform. On the contrary PPP leadership should encourage their party members to join any protest, demonstrations, and acts of grievances for Benazir Bhutto regardless of who organizes them.
* Organize a massive hunger strike in front of the UN office and in front of other key institutions in Europe, USA, Pakistan , and other countries to demand UN investigation of Benazir Bhutto’s killing and in the plight of Sindhis and Baluch.
* Raise funds to place full-page appeals in world-class newspapers demanding demand UN investigation of Benazir Bhutto’s killing and in the plight of Sindhis and Baluch.
* Create a central committee of overseas to coordinate activities and actions to demand UN investigation of Benazir Bhutto’s killing and in the plight of Sindhis and Baluch.
* Formulate fouus groups in all major cities and towns and hold weekly sessions to formulate plans and take actions to demand UN investigation of Benazir Bhutto’s killing and in the plight of Sindhis and Baluch.
Are we ready to take some practical and pragamatic actions to secure justice and fairness for Benazir Bhutto and Sindhi masses or must we continue to limit expressing our frustration through e-mails and statements?
If there are any volunteers to provide help by contiibuting towards newspapers ads and joining in peaceful protests and hunger strikes in front of the UN office and in front of other key institutions in Europe, USA, Pakistan , and other countries to demand UN investigation of Benazir Bhutto’s killing and in the plight of Sindhis, Balochs and other oppressed Pakistanis.
Nov. 01, 2008